Wednesday 6 June 2012

How to backup Mozilla Firefox bookmarks?

Whether in Windows or Ubuntu, I will use Mozilla Firefox as my primary web browser. I like using Mozilla Firefox because it is fast (fyi, Google Chrome is faster than Firefox), has thousands of useful addons, properly renders websites and also easy to familiarize even you are a new user.


But two days back, my friend want to format his laptop. But before he proceeds, he asked me how to backup his Mozilla Firefox bookmark. He said, he has around 50 bookmarked websites and he don’t want to lose all his favourite links. So here is what I told him to do.

  1. In Mozilla Firefox, go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.
  2. Click on Import and Backup, choose Backup.
  3. Choose location where you want to store the backup file by clicking on the Browse button.
  4. Click Save.
The backup file is saved in .json file extension. Only Firefox 3 using .json file to keep all our bookmarks information.

For Firefox 2, it using standard .html file which you can choose, Export HTML under Import and Backup menu.